Messages to Our Community
Reopening of the Pontifical University of St. Thomas
Dear members of the Angelicum community,
A team of our staff has been working with a Security company to determine the best plan for reopening the University this fall, commencing on October 5th. Excellent work has been done to put into place protocols to ensure the safety of faculty, staff and students who will be returning to the University. I am happy to be able to share with you some of the highlights of our plan, which is still evolving since regulations set forth by the government change regularly. You will be informed of any changes as they occur in order to be in compliance with updated regulations.
As we embark upon a new chapter of our University’s history, we look at our response through the lens of our holy Catholic faith. We are all called to act with integrity, responsibility, compassion and generosity. Every day we will have to put aside some of our own self-interests for the good of others in our community. This at times will pose a challenge but is necessary for a successful year. With God’s grace and our commitment to the common good of all of our Angelicum family, I know that we will be able to do this.
All of our decisions are based upon guidance provided by legislative decrees issued by the Italian government along with the assistance of the security company, SICURLAV 2015 SRLS. As the situation develops we will continue to rely on the expertise of SICURLAV in the updating of our protocols to ensure the health and safety of all of our Angelicum family.
As faculty members, staff members, and administrators, we are committed to ensuring a healthy environment to all at the University and thank you in advance for adhering to the protocols that will be required.
Highlights of the Plan
The length of the plan precludes it from being included in its entirety in this email communication. To learn all the details of the plan you can go to the Coronavirus Pandemic Response page on our website. The plan in its entirety is also included here. The reopening website will be an invaluable tool as updates will be made to the site as they become available. Please click on each link to learn more about the particular protocols listed in their respective headings. It is the responsibility of each of our members to know and understand the regulations and expectations that University has during this time.
Health and Safety
We have established norms based on the recommendations of governmental decrees and reviewed by SICURLAV. All faculty, staff, students and outside vendors will be expected to follow new COVID-19 workplace requirements related to personal and community safety. Willful violations will be treated seriously and each person in our community is responsible for familiarizing himself or herself with the guidelines. The following are some of the major points.
- Anyone feeling unwell should stay at home.
- Those who are at risk are encouraged to work or study remotely, if possible.
- Face masks are required for everyone who is on campus at all times when interacting with other people.
- Persons on campus should take all possible steps to maintain one and a half meters of distance from others at all times.
- The University will take extensive measures, through the configuration of classrooms and other spaces and through the implementation of new traffic patterns, among other steps, to help facilitate physical distancing. However, much of this responsibility will fall to individuals.
- New physical distancing capacity limits have been determined for all classrooms, offices, and other learning spaces, including study spaces. Furniture will be marked for proper physical distancing or will be removed.
- Concurrent classes will be reduced through scheduling adjustments and the increased use of hybrid or blended teaching models. The amount of time between classes may be increased as needed to ensure appropriate transitions.
- The University will designate one-way stairwells during class transitions where possible, and it also will establish clearly defined entrances and exits. Signs will be posted to facilitate movement.
- CONTACT TRACING/QUARANTINE/ISOLATION
- TEACHING AND LEARNING
- STUDENT LIFE
- FOOD ON CAMPUS
- WORKING ON CAMPUS
- VISITING CAMPUS
- ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
- SACRAMENTAL EVENTS
This communication is designed to address the situation we face as well as our mission. Though these protocols are being implemented, they are still evolving to reflect the most current decrees put forth by the government. Please visit the site and make sure you understand what is required of you while you are at the Angelicum. Please join me in praying for our Institution, that each and every one of us remains safe and healthy.
Fr. Michal Paluch, OP
Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas