Event: Creation, Nature, and Grace: Catholics and Reformed in Dialogue
Dates: 28 & 29 April 2023
Location: Angelicum, Aula Minor
11:00 Welcome and Introduction
11:05 – 13:15 What is Creation and How Do We Know About It?
– Simon Oliver (Durham University)
– Mariusz Tabaczek, OP (Angelicum)
14:00-16:15 Original Righteousness, Nature and Grace before the Fall?
– John Bowlin (Princeton Theological Seminary)
– Simon Gaine, OP (Angelicum)
16:30-19:00 Image of God and the Effects of Sin
– Michael Allen (Reformed Theological Seminary)
– Euan Grant (University of St. Andrews)
Saturday, 29 April
11:00-13:15 Christ the Fulfilment of Creation: How So?
– Oliver Crisp (University of St. Andrews)
– Aaron Pidel, SJ (Marquette University)
14:00-16:15 Created Mediations: Is the Church a Part of Creation?
– Hyacinthe Destivelle, OP (Angelicum)
– Keith Johnson (Reformed Theological Seminary)
16:30-18:45 Eschatology as First Philosophy: What Ends for Creation?
– Judith Wolfe (University of St. Andrews)
– Bruce McCormack (Princeton Theological Seminary)
Summary of the day: Both reformed and Roman Catholic Christians agree on the fundamental Scriptural claim that the human being is made in the image of God but also affected by the consequences of original sin and that the same human being can be re-created by the grace of Christ. However, historical disagreements also exist about original righteousness, the effects of sin, and the natures of justification and sanctification. This conference seeks to bring together contemporary Catholic and reformed theologians of the highest qualifications to discuss creatively the existence convergences and ongoing relational differences between reformed and Roman Catholic interpretations of the Christian revelation. The aim is to model a genuine ecumenical dialogue marked by the recognition of historical differences and the acception of them in the midst of the search for common truths. All are welcome to attend. Sponsored by the Agape McDonald Foundation.
Live Stream will be available on the Angelicum YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/@prpust/streams