Enrollment for the third edition of the one-year JP2 STUDIES program with the St. John Paul II Institute of Culture, through the Angelicum’s Faculty of Philosophy, is open until 22 September 2023. The program will be held in the academic year 2023-24 at the Angelicum in Rome.
Students will be taught by outstanding experts who will revisit the works and teachings of Pope St. John Paul II, as well as present key issues in contemporary philosophical and theological thought. Among the Professors teaching in the program are: Helen Alford OP, Cezary Binkiewicz OP, Rémi Brague, Michał Gierycz, Jarosław Kupczak OP, Jean-Luc Marion, George Weigel. The aim of the program it to reflect on the greatest challenges of our times with St. John Paul II as guide and teacher. We address questions about the dignity and liberty of the human person, solidarity and community, modernity and tradition, culture and truth, all in the light of Revelation.
St. John Paul II can help us understand the world we live in. Let’s come together as disciples of the great Pope at the Angelicum in Rome!
The program has been created for students of diverse walks of life, interested in deepening their knowledge about the life, work and teaching of St. John Paul II. The program is geared towards clergy, religious and laity alike, especially:
– seminarians, priests and members of religious communities,
– students with a Bachelor’s degree and graduate students,
– researchers and academics,
– journalists specializing in subjects of faith and the Church.
During two semesters, the program covers lectures and seminars, including obligatory and elective courses which are grouped into three blocks:
1. THINKING ON ST. JOHN PAUL II
Foundational courses covering the life and work of John Paul II, the times in which he grew up, as well as the most important elements of his teaching. The courses are:
– “JP2 – Life, Work and Historical Context” – Prof. George Weigel (Ethics and Public Policy Center, Washington, D.C.)
– “JP2 and Philosophy” – Prof. Cezary Binkiewicz OP (Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas)
– “JP2 – Most Important Theological Issues” – Prof. Jarosław Kupczak OP (Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow)
– “JP2 – Social Teaching” – Prof. Helen Alford OP (Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas), Prof. Michał Gierycz (Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University, Warsaw)
JP2 Studies have completely exceeded my expectations and I can wholeheartedly recommend themHarriet Andrews, alumna of JP2 Studies 2021/2022
2. THINKING WITH ST. JOHN PAUL II
Monographic lectures and seminars focusing on key issues in contemporary philosophical and theological thaught and relating them to the legacy of St. John Paul II.
Courses are given each year by Visiting Professors. Among them have been: Prof. Rémi Brague (Université de Paris), Prof. Marek Cichocki (College of Europe, Natolin), Rev. Prof. Franciszek Longchamps de Bérier (Jagiellonian University), Prof. Jean-Luc Marion (University of Chicago), Monsignor Dr. Michael Nazir-Ali (Oxford Centre for Training, Research, Advocacy and Dialogue).
Furthermore the program encompasses:
– the “JP2 Lectures” series of monthly lectures and accompanying seminars, including such prominent guest speakers as: John Cavadini, Chantal Delsol, John Milbank, Vittorio Possenti, Fr. Raymond de Souza, George Weigel, Joseph Weiler, Bp Rowan Williams, among others.
– “Re-enacting Rhapsodic Theater” – a theater workshop and production of Karol Wojtyła’s play under the guidance of stage director Prof. Jarosław Kilian (National Academy of Dramatic Art in Warsaw).
3. ST. JOHN PAUL II CONTEXTS
Supplementary courses selected from the current curriculum of the Angelicum. The elective courses are available from the course offerings of the Faculties of Philosophy, Theology and Social Sciences. These courses enable students to supplement and broaden the scope of their studies on the teaching of John Paul II in a wider philosophical and theological context.
COURSE LANGUAGE AND FORMAT
The courses are held in English and are carried out on a full-time basis and in-presence.
REGISTRATION AND ENROLLMENT
If you wish to register for the JP2 Studies program or have any questions about the process of enrollment, please contact us at: [email protected] or send a first registration requests through this form.
A detailed list of the steps required for registration is also available on our frequently asked questions page. To check the deadlines for registration you may also refer to the registration page of the University website.