From its very beginning, the Faculty of Philosophy at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas has been bound up with the renewal of studies of the thought of Saint Thomas Aquinas in the Church and in the academic world. The Thomistic tradition gives unity to the instruction of the Faculty, without detracting in any way from the knowledge of the broader history of philosophy in all its diversity.
The Faculty of Philosophy was established by Pope Leo XIII in 1882, a few years after the promulgation of the Encyclical Æterni Patris (1879). In 1963, St. John XXIII elevated the former college “Angelicum” to the status of a Pontifical University under the name “Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome” (Pontificia Studiorum Universitas a Sancto Thoma Aquinate in Urbe).
During Academic Year 2016-2017, the Faculty numbered 110 students, 85 men and 25 women, of whom there were 27 priests, 36 seminarians (religious and diocesan), 11 sisters, and 36 lay men and women. They were from 41 different countries, with the greatest numbers from Italy, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the United States of America.